Why do I keep CAFO pork off the No Fail fat loss plans? The vast literature and research is out there for you to explore, but in a nutshell:
- CAFO pigs "live" an acutely cruel existence from gestation-to-(if they survive) slaughter.
- Their environments are a petri dish of pathogens that get passed on to the consumer.
- Toxins get stored in fat. If you're eating factory farmed animals or products like bacon with a high fat percentage, you're ingesting more poison than you think-- no matter how paleo or keto it is. In fact, commercial pork fat has triple the toxins of factory-farmed beef fat. This is because their toxin absorption system is similar to humans.
- 2.5 lbs skinless pork belly. ~1.5 inches thick
- 1/2 cup natural sea salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (can also sub an ounce of maple syrup and 6 oz of raw honey instead)
- 3 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. sweet pimentón
- Black pepper (coarsely ground)
- Rub pepper into the fat
- Mix sugar, salt, pimentón. Rub 3/4 of mix into meat side. Rub 1/4 mix into the fat and on the sides.
- Pour ACV in vacuum seal or ziploc bag, add pork, vacuum seal or press air out. Refrigerate for 72 hours. A brine will accrue. Turn every 24 hours in the brine.
- After three days, rinse pork and pat dry. Refrigerate by placing in an uncovered rack over tray. Allow to dry for two hours.
- Slice as you like and fry it up!